Tuesday, September 20, 2011

I'm Glad I Wasn't a Teen Model

I'm watching Primetime Nightline - Celebrity Secrets: A Model Life and it's shocking. I'll admit it - I always wanted to be plucked from obscurity at my local mall. I had fantasies of someone saying "You - you're the next Cindy Crawford." I'd be lauded worldwide for my exquisite beauty and then I'd rub it in the faces of all the boys in high school who called me "Beast" and "Sasquatch."

Obviously, that never happened. And as I'm watching this news special, I find that I'm glad. These 13 year old girls are being told they're too fat because their waist is 24 1/2 inches. Can you imagine?

One twig-like girl is sent home, told that she needs to work on toning her hips and thighs. Her legs are already like sticks.

The 13-year-old who "made it" was sent to New York City and her roommate is a 19-year-old with a shaved head. The 19-year-old is giving advice to the 13-year-old about how to handle men. I'll tell you how to handle men - stay away from them until you turn 18!

I want to hold these little girls down and force them to drink whole milk. They are already so beautiful exactly as they are. It makes me sad that they're working so hard to fit someone else's idea of beauty.

I can't imagine letting my kids do something like that (if I had them.) Eat some twinkies, play softball, enjoy life - don't waste so much time worrying about what you look like!

No comments: