Saturday, September 17, 2011

No Secrets at Victoria's

I had to buy a new bra on Saturday because the underwire on my existing bras was digging into my skin, causing me to break out into a rash.  (Hot, right?)

I went to Victoria's Secret because I had a coupon.  I haven't been measured for awhile, so they sent me to the back room. My new bra size is 2 cup sizes bigger than the ones I've been wearing - no wonder I've been miserable.  I had been telling Simon my boobs were bigger and he didn't believe me. (No, I'm not knocked up. I promise.)

All this bigger boobs nonsense is fine and good, but I was a little shocked by my experience at The Secret.  The salesgirl asked me my name and I said "Laura."  She started spelling "L-A-R-A.    I stopped her and said, "No, it's L-A-U-R-A."  She said, "Oh - you mean Lor-rah," using the incorrect way everyone pronounces my name.

Usually, it's not a huge deal - a lot of people use the 'Lor' pronunciation and have trouble with the 'Lau' pronunciation.  It's not even something I bother correcting.  However, this is the first time someone has tried to correct ME on the way I pronounce my own name.  I think I would know how it's pronounced.  I was born with it. 

Then, to top it all off, she insisted on looking at me in my bra to make sure it fit properly.  It's not that I'm a prude.  But I'm 35 years old, I have a rash and I definitely have some wobbly parts on my torso.  It's a bit mortifying to have a skinny 20-something girl examining my bosoms to make sure the cups don't pucker.

As I left the dressing room, a girl who spelled her name L-A-R-A was checking in.  The salesgirl pointed at her and said, "This - this is a Laura!"

Grrr! Still, I needed a new bra, and I bought one.  But I definitely feel that the entire shopping experience was a little too familiar!

2 comments:

nerdshoveler said...

hmmm...I'll just call you Eljabo. :-)

Eljabo said...

I know! And honestly, it's something I never think about. But I've just never had someone correct me on the own pronunciation of my own name before.