Thursday, December 22, 2011

What I'm Reading Wednesday (Er Thursday): The Opposite of Me


This week I've moved onto what I like to term a 'girly grown-up book.'    I'm reading The Opposite of Me by Sarah Pekkanen.  I'm on page 351 of 377 and I've absolutely loved every word of this book so far.


The Plot


The story revolves around Lindsey Rose and her fraternal twin sister, Alex. Lindsey is the smart one with a successful career in advertising and Alex is the beautiful one, as in genuinely model perfect. Without giving too much away, the sisters begin to break away from the roles that have defined them for their entire lives.


The Verdict


This may be one of my favorite books of 2011. At first I thought Lindsey was a bit of a whiny brat, but she quickly grew on me. I could really identify with her. From high school all the way through my early 20s, I thought of myself as only a smart girl who was good at school and good at my job. I had no concept of my appearance at all. And then when my job began to not go so well, I felt really lost. Life is definitely better when you can be a bit more well rounded!


It's fun to watch Lindsey discover a new side to herself - and I'm a sucker for a life-altering makeover like the one that takes place in this book. Yes, some of the plot points are cliche, and I think I figured out the ending pretty early on (although I still have a few pages left to find out if I'm right.) However, the characters are warm and well developed, the writing flows and the story is enjoyable to read. It feels a bit like a cozy blanket.

No comments: