Wednesday, December 28, 2011

What I'm Reading Wednesday: The Night Circus

We've been busy spending the holiday with my parents, but I can always find time for some reading.

In fact, I'm such a reading fan, my husband got me a Kindle Fire for Christmas. This is the first year I've been open to the idea. My main problem was always the cost - I would read myself into the poorhouse if I had to buy every book. However, Amazon now has a lending library (granted, it's with the Amazon Prime service, but still!) AND you can check out books from the library.

This week, I'm reading The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern. I'd classify this as a grown-up fantasy book and I'm currently on page 67 of 367, so I haven't gotten very far. I will say that this is one of the most hyped books of 2011 and so far, it seems to be worth the hype. The author has a easy, descriptive writing style. I found myself captivated right away.

The Plot

I haven't gotten very far into the book, but it seems to be about two magicians who are training two children in the arts of magic with the expectation that they will eventually duel. I'm assuming a night circus will come into play, since that's the title of the book. So far, one of the magicians and his daughter seem to work in a circus, but that's about as far as I've gotten.

The Verdict

I suspect I'm going to like this book a lot - unless the wheels come off the bus a little further on. Right now, I'm savoring every word and can't wait to read what happens next.



No comments: