Sunday, January 15, 2012

Ponderings

I'm spending a wild Sunday night at home with the hubby. I want to watch something funny on tv, and my only option is Real Time with Bill Maher on HBO.  I know he's a little smarmy, but he makes me chuckle.

He's talking about Mitt Romney and how Mitt's having trouble with the Republican base because the evangelical Christians aren't fond of the whole Mormon thing.

It got me thinking about evangelical Christians and Republicanism.

I don't get it.

I am far from an evangelical Christian, but I would imagine that they would want to vote in the way that Jesus would vote.  Since Jesus was all about helping the poor, I imagine he'd be in favor of many of the social programs Republicans would like to cut. I think Jesus would be pro-health care.  (Although he'd probably be anti-insurance because insurance companies are pretty corrupt.)

Does it all come down to abortion and gay people?   I probably can't argue about the abortion thing - although I will say that being pro-choice does not mean you are pro-abortion.  It just means that you don't think the government has the right to poke its nose in what you do with your own body.  But still, Jesus probably wouldn't be all about that.

However, I will argue with every breath in my body that Jesus would not give two figs about two men falling in love and getting married.  Jesus was all about love and anything that puts more love in our world is a good thing.

Maybe it's because these Republican candidates are so open about being Christians.  (Although their personal morals leave a lot to be desired.)

I guess when it comes down to it, it doesn't really matter.  I just like to understand how things work and I am always surprised when people vote against their best interests. Like when I was in high school (way back when) and it was time to vote for homecoming queen.  One of my friends said she wanted to nominate a few of the girls who were considered "popular."  My reaction was, "Why would we vote for people we don't talk to?  Let's vote for our friends."  And that's what we did.  (Not that they made it onto the court...but, we tried!)

No comments: