Monday, August 27, 2012

I Don't Get It

I always find it difficult to understand how any woman can possibly be a Republican, given all the misogynistic, sexist, ignorant things that come out of Republican male mouths.

I am beyond furious at all the rape talk that has recently been going on. I know women who have been raped and words cannot describe the trauma these women went through.  They deserve more understanding and support than they are currently getting from Republican leadership.

These men have no idea what it means to be a woman and they have no idea how the female body works.  For starters, women don't have magical organisms in their vaginas that prevent rapist eggs from implanting.

Here are the three offensive things I have recently read:

  • Todd Akin - Republican Representative:  "From what I understand from doctors, that's really rare [of pregnancy caused by rape]. If it's a legitimate rape, the female body has ways to try to shut that whole thing down. But let's assume maybe that didn't work or something. I think there should be some punishment, but the punishment ought to be on the rapist."  Later, he said if he had replaced the word "legitimate" with "forcible," it would have been OK.
  • Paul Ryan - Republican Vice President Candidate:  "I’m very proud of my pro-life record, and I’ve always adopted the idea, the position that the method of conception doesn’t change the definition of life."  (Cause rape is just a "method of conception.")
  • Tom Smith -- Pennsylvania Republican Senate Candidate:  [When asked how he would tell a daughter she had to bear the child of her rapist.]  "I lived something similar to [rape] with my own family...having a baby out of wedlock." [When pressed on whether that's actually similar to rape.] "No, no, no, but … put yourself in a father’s situation, yes. It is similar. "
Why is it always old white men saying these offensive things? You're pro-life?  Fine!  Don't have an abortion.  But don't force women to bear the children of rapists and incestuous relatives.  That's ridiculous and way too extreme.

 

No comments: