Monday, January 11, 2010

And the Adventure Begins, Again!

I've got to get my arse into shape. I know you've heard it from me before -- and you're probably rolling your eyes. The thing is, you have to be in the right mental state to get in the right physical state, and I wasn't in the right mental state before.

There have been times when I've tried to lose weight when I was OK with my physical being. There have been other times when I just had too much crap going on. The excuses stop NOW. I am dissatisfied with my health AND now have plenty of time to do something about it.

In January, I'm concentrating on 3 goals:
  1. Exercise for 30 minutes at least three times a week
  2. Be aware of what I eat (in other words, write it down.)
  3. Get at least 7 hours of sleep a night (I chow down like food's going out of style if I'm tired.)
I also joined Weight Watchers with my friend Angela. It's better to go with a friend because you feel guilty whenever you think about skipping!

Week 1 -- Day 1 of Exercise: One Hour of Jazzercise

I hope exercise gets easier because right now it sucks.

I was down to the wire getting to Jazzercise, which meant I had to stand in the front. I stood next to Jazzercise Barbie (she looked like Judith Light in Who's the Boss? and was about a size 2). Behind me were all sorts of adorable 20-somethings...some even had pigtails. All I could think was that some of them probably went home and blogged about how old ladies who jazzercise should make more of an effort to buy underwear that fits. (I was having wedgie problems.)

The whole hour was painful! I was sweating, red-faced and huffing. I probably sounded like an asthmatic bear, lumbering around and crashing into things. I never faced the right way when trying to do the moves. The instructor kept doing some sort of stripper moves that my retired bellydancer butt couldn't even attempt.

All in all, it was VERY embarrassing. I used to be in amazing shape -- and now this! Oh well...if I keep it up, it won't ever be this bad again.

I've actually been here before -- and in WORSE condition. I remember the very first exercise class I took after nearly a decade of inactivity. It was a kickboxing class and I could barely move. I remember telling the guy at the gym that I wanted to lose 50 pounds. The friend who signed up with me looked at me and said "50 pounds? There's no way you can lose 50 pounds." I actually lost that and more. So this ....this is just a speedbump. I had a crappy year. It WILL get better.

No comments: