Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Get Those Butt-Cheeks A-Movin'

Last night, I tried yet another of Suhaila Salimpour's bellydance DVDs - it was the Bellydance Yoga Fusion installment. Holy crap!

It's been over a year since I've done one of her DVDs, and I forgot all about Suhaila's signature move. Basically, you sit on the floor in a straddle (yeah right) and lift one butt-cheek at a time. After you get that down pat(ha!), you speed it up.
The first problem is the straddle - no part of my body can do that. Also, the butt-cheek isolations are a bit too much for me and I've been bellydancing for over three years.

Click here to see Suhaila do the butt-cheek thing on Ellen Degeneres' show. It's hilarious! Ellen's reaction is very similar to my own.

Suhaila also does these "undulations" in the video, which are very similar to stomach rolls. She did about 50 in a row - moving the stomach up and down then down and up. I ended up collapsing in a heap and I'm actually pretty good at stomach rolls.

The last time I did a Suhaila video, I was with Shannon and her two daughters. 5-year-old Reaghan (I might be spelling that wrong...I have trouble spelling that one!) burst into tears and said "That makes my tummy hurt." Let me tell you, I felt exactly the same way last night!

No comments: